Friday, January 3, 2014

Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This…

Photo by J-rod J
Yesterday was the fourth day of our Daniel Plan Detox. It was also the first day I didn't have a constant headache. I didn't even nap. I think the worst of my withdrawal symptoms are over. 

In fact, I feel like I'm beginning to adjust to my new diet. Or rather, I should say, I think my body is adjusting to the new diet. After a few ounces of fruit juice (the only sugar left in my diet), I was absolutely hyper! I acted like my 3-year-old did on the few times I shared a soda with her. I caught myself literally jumping around the kitchen while doing the dishes. 

I don't want to give the impression that I have completely adapted to this diet. In fact, I'm a little frustrated because I feel like I'm really missing the spirit of the detox. I may have cut drinks with added sweetners, but I'm still drinking 100% juice at nearly every meal. It's as though I've replaced one unhealthy addiction with a slightly healthier addiction. Grape juice is the methadone to my Coke Zero heroine. 

And dairy! I miss you, dairy! Baby, please come home! Yesterday I caught myself walking past the cheese display at HEB and wondering if any studies had found a correlation between lactose-free diets and suicidal tendencies. 

I'm eating practically nonstop. Since it isn't getting what it really wants, my brain never seems to be satisfied and keeps telling me that I'm starving. But so far, I haven't gained any weight. If I ever got used to this lifestyle, I might actually lose weight. But I don't see that happening any time soon. 

With the Daniel Plan detox, you give everything up for at least 10 days (but ideally many more days) and then add prohibited ingredients back once a week after that. I'm counting down the bare minimum number of days until I get to add back my first ingredient. (Five, by the way. Five more days.) After doing this for five days so far, I realize that I could live this way if I had to, but I can't imagine ever enjoying it, so I don't believe I'll continue this diet after the detox is complete.

3 comments:

  1. What are you allowed to eat right now? Are you snacking on almonds or other foods with healthy fats that might "fill" you up more?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I've been eating handfuls of almonds every day—I've been shoveling them into my face. I can't imagine how much I'd be eating if I were snacking on something more carbolicious. The good thing is I'm not trying to lose weight on this detox; I'm just hoping to not gain.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete